English, Serbian, Croatian
Matija Testen has joined Rojs, Peljhan, Prelesnik & partners in 2001 after his traineeship at High Court in Ljubljana.
English, Serbian, Croatian
He specialises in litigation, intellectual property, product liability and product recall, M&A, corporate and commercial law.
He is the head of the firm’s litigation department and has been advising and representing several domestic and foreign clients in high-level commercial disputes, commonly exceeding EUR 1 million and reaching up to EUR 50 million. His recent practice is focused on representing several clients in claw-back actions in the bankruptcy procedures and actions for damages against members of management and supervisory boards. Matija is also one of the heads of firm’s IP department, representing clients in trademark and patent disputes and administrative procedures in relation to the registrations and exploitation of trademarks, models and domain names as well as in opposition and UDRP procedures.
His clients’ portfolio includes domestic and international clients, active in banking and finance, automotive, food production, retail, telecommunications and pharmaceutical sector.
Highlights include advising/representing
• One of the Private equity houses in the sales process of Slovenian telecommunications provider
• A bank in a forensic audit in relation to the irregularities found and allegedly caused by the former bank management
• An association of authors in several litigation cases related to unauthorised use of their copyright-protected products
• A high technology production company, specialised in steel and composition products used in spearfishing, in a complex litigation procedure, concerning unfair competition and lost profit;
• A multinational publisher, developer, and distributor of video games in a non-use cancellation action against two Slovenian trademarks
• A tobacco company in an infringement case followed by a claim for compensation of damages exceeding EUR 6 million
• A foreign client, which is one of the largest food producers in Balkan region, with respect to its IP rights in Slovenia and in a court procedure related to trademark infringement
• An international furniture retailer on IP matters and trademark registration in all its designated countries
- State Bar Exam, 2000
- Univesity of Ljubljana, Law Faculty, graduated "cum laude", 1993-1998
- Law firm Rojs, Peljhan, Prelesnik & partners, Partner since 2005
- Law firm Rojs, Peljhan, Prelesnik & partners, Associate and Senior Associate, 2001-2005
- High Court in Ljubljana, court articling, 1998-2000
- The impact of the amendment of the Civil Procedure Act on the status of the lawyer, contribution to the XV. Days of Civil and Commercial Law, 2017.
- Supreme Court Access Regime from Attorney's Point of View, The law journal Company and Labour, 2015, (Lecturing at Days of Slovenian Lawyers 2015).
- TESTEN, Matija, OMLADIČ, Sergej. Slovenia – Law & Practice. Chambers Legal Practice Guides, Litigation 2015 Legal Practice Guide. London, Chambers & Partners, 2015.
- Slovenia beckons with economic and logistical incentives, China Business Law Journal, October 2012.
- Correspondent for Slovenia in Global Competition Litigation Review (Thomson, Sweet & Maxwell).
- The role of attorney in acquiring and (non-)disclosing evidence for the purpose of litigation, The law journal Company and Labour, 2011 (Lecturing at Days of Slovenian Lawyers 2011).
- Issues of extraordinary naturalisation, Vestnik za javno upravo.
- The process of detention of persons in psychiatric institutions, Collapse, 1999.